Robotics Level 1 & Level 2 GRADES 1 - 8
This is the first course of its kind. No one teaches Robotics like we do. This course allows students to develop, build and program a robot using the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is a compact yet powerful computer that is small enough to fit on portable robot platforms. Students will work hands-on in small teams to complete a set of increasingly complex builds. In this class students will learn how the Raspberry Pi controls external modules using the GPIO interface, allowing the students to interact with add-on modules, and other components such as motors, switches as well as light, ultrasonic and motion sensors. At first the coding will be done in Scratch, to simplify the time taken to get motion and action. Eventually, the students will switch to Python, so that they can access a wider range of controls. Students will learn how computer programming, engineering, physics, mathematics, geometry, electronics and mechanics come together to achieve successful robotics. Along the way, students will learn the function of basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, transistors and microchips. We will be programming a robotic truck/car, articulating arm, and other fun gadgets. The objective of this course is to introduce the student to basic programming as well as problem solving strategies.
- Level A- Scratch Basics (Grades 1 -2)
- Level 1 - Coding in Scratch
- Level 2 - Coding in Python (Beginners)
- Level 3 - Coding in Python (use sensors & apply advanced logic)
Course Learning Goals
- Engage students in the multidisciplinary aspects of robotics
- Introduce students to electronics fundamentals
- Explore the fundamentals of mechanics
- Provide students with technical design experience
- Apply the scientific process to testing and revision of robot design demonstrate practical applications.